Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Recutting Movies

Information. It is everywhere. New creativity, and new media comes to our senses in a flash. How is it possible that we can process all of these images, all of these sounds?

As a video editor, I soak up images. I record them in my temporary memory which then can be accessed for later ideas. I find myself always reworking images in my head, trying them out in different sequences.

I watch movies and I start changing them in my mind. What would it look like to take out a few scenes? How does the story change by mixing up the sequence of events?

With digital technology, it is now easy to recut movies to watch them the way you'd like to see them. For example, I love the movie The Royal Tenenbaums, but a certain suicide scene prevents me from repeat viewings of that movie. With a series of digital tricks, I can now import this movie into Final Cut Pro, and within a few hours I can produce a new version that can be watched on repeat.

How refreshing it is to take a raw movie like Water World and chop this 136 minute flick down to its essence of 12 minutes. Take linear out of the equation, and the story-line opens up to the imagination. Sequencing, music changes, and even some special FX, and scene editing can all help build a new interpretation of a Hollywood film gone bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment